|Vidalia Onion Soup
Gruyère cheese, grated about 3 C
Water 2 TBS
Sherry vinegar 1 TBS
Sugar 1 C
Vidalia onions, finely diced 2 C
Vidalia onions, large, skin-on 8 each
Salt to taste
Canola oil 1 TBS
Garlic cloves, minced 2 each
Ramp greens, finely sliced 2 Lb
Or scallions, sliced paper thin 2 Lb
1. Place Gruyère on a nonstick mat in piles about 2 inches square and 4 or 5 inches apart and about 2 tablespoons in volume each. Bake at 350 degrees F until they turn light golden brown and are hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to firm slightly before removing them with a spatula to a cutting board.
2. While tuiles are still warm, trim edges neatly with a sharp knife to make perfect square crackers. (If they harden too much to cut they can be returned to oven to soften before trimming.) Place in a tightly closed container lined with paper towels and reserve.
3. Place water, vinegar and sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Cook until a light amber caramel forms; remove from heat and continually swirl caramel. (The color will continue to darken to a glassy, light brown.)
4. Add diced Vidalia onions to pan and stir in, being careful not to touch caramel, until softened. Reserve marmalade, refrigerated.
5. Trim ends but not skins off whole onions. Season with salt, coat with oil, wrap in foil, and roast at 300 degrees F until very soft and caramelized throughout, about 3 hours.
6. Peel remaining onions and slice finely. Sauté in canola oil with garlic until translucent but retaining some bite. Place on a sheet pan and reserve, refrigerated
7. Remove skins from roasted onions. Place onions and roasting juices in a blender and purée until perfectly smooth. Season to taste; reserve, refrigerated, up to 1 week.
8. Warm 2 cups of reserved soup with 1 cup of sautéed onions. Sandwich reserved onion marmalade between 2 cheese tuilles. Pour soup into a deep bowl, garnish with paper-thin scallion points or ramp greens and a tuille sandwich. Yield: 10 to 14 servings
Chef de Cuisine Peter Gobin
Bistro at Chamberlain - West Hollywood, Calif., USA