2-3 pounds lamb shoulder chops
2 pounds potatoes
2 large onions
salt and pepper
1 TBS fresh chopped thyme and parsley
1 1/2 cups water
chopped parsley for garnish
1) Have your butcher cut chops into smaller chunks (bone-in or boneless). Peel and slice the potatoes and onions.
2) Season the meat and vegetables with salt, pepper, and herbs. Then starting and finishing with a layer of potatoes, layer the potatoes, meats and onions in a large casserole of baking dish.
3) Add the water and cover tightly. Either simmer on a very low heat on the top of the stove for 2 1/2 hours or cook in a 275 degree oven for the same length of time.
4) The pot or casserole should be shake occasionally to prevent the potatoes from sticking you should check that the liquid has not dried out. The finished stew should not be too runny as the potatoes should thicken it sufficiently.
5) Brown the top of the potato layer under a hot broiler and serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.