|Sesame Crusted Oat Fritters with Chimichurri Dipping Sauce
1 bowl oatmeal (This portion ranges, but an average bowl makes about 5 fritters)
1/2 cup grated cheese (I used a combo of Fontina, Asiago, and Parmesan)
5 tablespoon sesame seeds (About one tablespoon per fritter)
For chimichurri sauce:
1 cup fresh parsley (packed)
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (packed)
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Toast sesame seeds over medium-heat, shaking the pan regularly. If they stay put, the seeds will start jumping like popping popcorn. Set seeds aside.
2. Form leftover oatmeal into meatball-sized balls. Dip in shredded cheese (until covered), then dunk in toasted sesame seeds.
3. Grease skillet and once hot, start cooking balls for about ten minutes per side, flattening with a spatula as they cook. The cheese-sesame seed coating should get crispy.
4. As the fritters cook, prepare chimichurri sauce. Puree all of the above ingredients in a food processor (or a blender worked for me). Scoop out and serve with hot fritters.
5. Sprinkle fritters with a little sea salt. Salt really complements the natural oaty flavor. Topped with a poached egg, this would be even better. - Makes about 5 fritters - Adapted from Bon Appétit -