|Risi e Bisi
Italian Rice and Peas
2 lbs fresh peas, weighed in the pods
4 TBS unsalted butter
2 TBS onion, finely chopped
Kosher salt to taste
3.5 cups meat broth
1 cup Arborio or carnaroli rice
2 TBS Italian parsley, chopped
1 cup Parmesan Reggiano, grated
1. Shell the peas. Reserve 1 cup of the best, crispest pods.
2. Separate the halves of the pods. Peel off the inner membrane and discard. Do not worry if any of the membrane is left in the pod, just snap it off, and discard. Save the cleaned pods.
3. Place the butter and onion in a large pot and heat to medium. Cook the onion until soft and lightly golden in color. Add the reserved pods and a pinch of salt, stir to combine and cook for 2-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add 3 cups of the broth and cover the pot. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Add the rice and the remaining broth stir and recover the pot. Cook at a slow boil for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The rice should be al dente.
6. Add the chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and turn off the heat. Serve in warm bowls with extra cheese passed at the table. Chef Ben Davis, TonyÕs