|Charred Romaine Spears w/ Grilled Bison NY Strip and BBQ Vinaigrette
½ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 bunch of radishes
½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
4 oz. of bleu cheese, crumbled
2 large heads of Romaine lettuce cut in ½ lengthwise
2 Bison NY Strip, Rib Eye or Sirloin Steaks
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Tony's Z Blend, Euro-Crust or Tuscan Grill seasoning to taste
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon sea salt
To make BBQ Vinaigrette:
1. Combine BBQ sauce, olive oil, vinegar, garlic and pepper. Wisk to combine and set aside.
For Salad Garnishes:
2. Cut radishes into quarters.
3. Cut cucumbers into 2 inch julienne strips.
4. Remove pit and skin of avocado then cut into thick slices or chunks.
5. Thinly slice ½ of a medium red onion and crumble the bleu cheese.
You can do these two steps ahead of time and keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 days until you are ready to grill. Keep all of the ingredients separate. If you do these steps ahead, do not cut the avocado until you are ready to eat because it will oxidize and turn brown.
To Make Grilled Lettuce Spears:
Preheat grill on high for 15-20 minutes.
1. Brush the flat side of the romaine spears liberally with the BBQ vinaigrette and place on grill BBQ side down for 5-6 minutes. Remove immediately to prevent too much charring and return to refrigerator to keep cold.
2. Toss steaks in 3 tablespoons olive oil and seasonings. Char on grill 4 minutes the first side, and 3 minutes on the second side or until you can see the juices from the steak coming to the surface. Remove from the grill immediately and place on a platter to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
Assemble the salad with the garnishes and dress the romaine with additional BBQ vinaigrette if needed. Slice the NY strips thinly just before serving. - adapted from Chef Forrest Waldo, www.highplainsbison.com