1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream
6 tbsp cold butter, cut into small cubes
1 tbsp vanilla or seeds of one large vanilla bean
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In small bowl, stir together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and spices.
3. Cut butter into flour with pastry cutter until it resembles small crumbs.
4. Measure out cream, reserving one tablespoon to brush onto tops of biscuits before baking.
5. Pour cream and vanilla into flour, mixing well. Lightly knead.
6. Pour out onto floured surface and roll out to 1/2?-3/8? thick.
7. Cut out into 8 squares, triangles, circles, hexagons, hearts or whatever you like.
9. Place on a parchment lined baking tray (light coloured), brush with the remaining cream, sprinkle lightly with sugar and bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden.
10. Remove from oven and cool before using.
1/2 lb. fresh strawberries, sliced thinly
3 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Take 1/4 cup of the sliced strawberries and mash them up, add back into remaining strawberries and add 2 tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp of vanilla. Set aside until needed.
2. In the bowl of a mixer with whisk attached, whip cream on high with 1 tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp vanilla until thoroughly whipped.
Assembling your shortcakes:
1. Slice cooled biscuits horizontally, spoon strawberries and small amount of whipped cream onto the bottom piece.
2. Place top of biscuit on and top with a small amount of strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream.
Yield: 8 small shortcakes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Inspired by Alice Waters “The Art of Simple Food”