|Risotto w/ Onion & Pancetta
2 ea. Yellow onions
4 oz. unsalted Butter
1 TB olive oil
2 oz pancetta
1 cup carnaroli rice
6 cups water
1 cup chicken broth-preferably homemade
1/4 to 1/2 cup Parmesan-Reggiano-grated
2 TB unsalted butter
1 / 2 TB thyme leaves
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Peel, halve and slice the onions in to thin strips. Dice the pancetta, set aside.
2. In a heavy skilled heat the butter until it foams. Add the onions and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring often until the onions are dark brown and sweet. Pour off any excess butter and set aside.
3. Bring the water and stock to a boil.
4. In a large wide pan, heat the olive oil. Add the pancetta and cook until it is firm but not crisp. Add the rice and stir to combine.
5. Add enough of the water and stock mixture to just cover the rice. STIR WITH A WOODEN SPOON!!!
6. Continue stirring and add more liquid when the rice on the top becomes exposed. After the second addition of broth, add some Parmesan cheese, a pinch of salt and the thyme leaves. Continue stirring.
7. After stirring about 12-15 minutes, add the caramelized onions.
8. Stir and add broth until the rice is firm, but does not stick in your teeth. Add more cheese and season if desired.
9. Remove from the heat and rest for 2 minutes. Pour into serving bowls, drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately. Pass extra cheese on the side.
- Executive Chef Benjamin Davis