Pan Seared Scallops with Glass Noodles in Spicy Peanut Broth Print Email

Serves 8

8 1/3 cup dashi (recipe follows)
2 tsp salt
3 TBS dark soy sauce
3 TBS light soy sauce
2 TBS sugar
2 TBS mirin
16 sea scallops
4 TBS green onions-finely chopped
1 lbs dried udon noodles
2-4 TBS prepared Spicy Peanut Sauce
1/2 cup carrot-julienne
Kosher salt for seasoning
Vegetable oil for sautéing
Chili oil for garnish

Bring dashi to a boil over medium heat. Add the salt, soy sauces, sugar and mirin and bring to a simmer. Strain and hold over low heat to serve hot.

Cook the udon noodles in 2 quarts of boiling water, unsalted. Add the noodles and stir to keep them from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Let the water come to a boil and then add 1 cup of cold water. Repeat this procedure 3-4 times and cook a bit beyond al dente. Drain through a colander and rinse with cold water, rubbing with your hands to rinse of excess starch.

Season the scallops with salt and some of the seven-spice mixture. Heat a pan large enough to hold the scallops over high heat. When hot add a thin layer of vegetable oil. Sear the scallops on both sides for 2-3 minutes.

Plunge the noodles into boiling water for a couple of seconds to reheat and divide between 8 bowls. Whisk the peanut sauce into the broth. Place 2 scallops in each bowl and add some of the carrots to each bowl.

Ladle the broth over the noodles and garnish with the green onions, seven-spice and chili oil.


2 quarts cold water
2 ounces giant kelp (konbu)
2 ounces dried bonito flakes (hana-katsuo)

Place the cold water in a medium sized stockpot.

Add the kelp and heat the water over medium heat to reach the boiling point, but do not boil.

Check the kelp by inserting your fingernail into the thickest part of the kelp. If soft then remove the kelp, if still firm then return to the pot and leave for another 1 to 2 minutes. To prevent boiling add another 1/2 cup of cold water.

After removing the kelp, add 1/2 cup of cold water and then immediately add the bonito flakes. Bring to a full boil and then remove from the heat. Allow the flakes to settle to the bottom, about 30 seconds. Skim off any foam if any is present, then strain through cheesecloth and reserve.

    Holiday Menu Order Here
Holiday Menu