|Beef Stew With Orange and Herbs
Fresh herbs and orange zest wake up a classic.
Work Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: About 2 hours
* 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
* 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
* 1 cup finely chopped carrot
* 1 cup finely chopped fennel or celery
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
* 1 cup dry red wine
* 2 cups beef stock or reduced-sodium beef broth
* 3 strips orange zest, removed with a vegetable peeler
* 2 tablespoons tomato paste
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1 bay leaf
* 18 ounces beef chuck, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
* 2 cups butternut squash, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
* 2 cups peeled potatoes, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
* 2 cups green beans, trimmed
* 6 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
* 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
* 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped orange zest
1. In a large (4-quart) Dutch oven or heavy saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat. In batches, add meat and brown well on all sides, 4-5 minutes per batch. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add onion, carrot, and fennel. Cook over medium heat until tender, 10-12 minutes.
3. Add wine. Bring to boil and cook 2 minutes until the alcohol has burned off. Add stock, orange zest, tomato paste, thyme, pepper, and bay leaf. Bring mixture just to boil, add meat and meat juices, reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until meat is just tender, 1 1/2 hours.
4. Add squash, potatoes, and beans, and a little extra water if mixture seems dry. Continue cooking 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
5. To prepare topping: With a sharp knife, on a cutting board, chop together parsley, thyme, and orange zest until finely chopped. Sprinkle over stew.
Each serving: 280 calories, 23 g protein, 30 g carbohydrates, 8 g total fat (2 g saturated), 45 mg cholesterol, 310 mg sodium.