|Brisket with Mushrooms
A small handful of dried mushrooms add lots of flavor to this traditional dish. If you are a real mushroom fan, add a cup of sliced sauteed mushrooms just before serving.
1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 4 to 5 pound beef brisket
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, pushed through a press
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced sodium beef broth
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Place mushrooms in a small bowl with 3/4 cup of water. Microwave on high until water boils; remove and let mushrooms cool to room temperature.
2. Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Brown brisket on one side. Turn and add onions; continue browning. When onions are brown, add garlic; cook 1 minute more.
3. Remove mushrooms from soaking liquid (reserve liquid). Rinse mushrooms and chop. Strain soaking liquid through a coffee filter to remove grit.
4. Pour in beef broth and mushroom liquid. Add bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Cover; reduce heat to low and cook 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until brisket is tender. Transfer brisket to a cutting board.
5. Increase heat to high and cook until juices thicken slightly. Remove bay leaf. Cut brisket against the grain into thin slices. – atkins.com
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake/Cook time: 2 hours
Carbohydrates: 7.5 grams
Net Carbs: 6 grams
Fiber: 1.5 grams
Protein: 66 grams
Fat: 68 grams